Lesson33 Out of the darkness 冲出黑暗
1. When did the girl set out from the coast? Was she caught in a storm or not?(and)2. Did her boat strike a rock or not? Did she jump into the sea, or did she remain in the boat?(so)3. How many miles did she swim that night?4. When did she reach the shore?5. What had she seen high up on the cliffs? Did she climb up or not?(and)6. Where did she find herself a day later? Answer these questions in not more than 65 words.
Lesson34 Quick work 破案“神速”1. Was Dan Robinson worried or not?2. Whom had he received a letter from?3. Where did he go yesterday?4. Is he worried anymore or not?5. What have the police found?6. Was Dan surprised or not? Was he amused or not?(not only…but…as well)7. When was his bicycle stolen?8. How old was he then? Answer these questions in not more than 55 words.
Lesson35 Stop thief!捉贼！
1. Is Roy finding his new job as a bus driver exciting or not? Lesson36 Across the Channel 横渡英吉利海峡
1. Who is going to swim across the English Channel tomorrow?2. In which street did he see two thieves recently?3. Were they running out of a shop, or were they running out of a bank? Where did Roy drive his bus? Did they drop the stolen money or not? Did they get into a car, or did they run away?(and…so…and)4. Where did Roy drive his bus then? Did he damage their car or not?(and)5. Whom did he telephone after this?6. Were both men arrested later or did they get away? Answer these questions in not more than 70 words.
2. How old is she? Is she a strong swimmer or not?(and)3. Whom has Debbie been trained by?4. Will he follow her in a small boat or not?5. Where will Debbie’s mother be waiting?6. What did she do as a girl? Answer these questions in not more than 55 words.
Lesson17 Always young青春常驻
1. Is your aunt Jennifer an actress or a nurse?2. Is she over thirty years old or is she under thirty years old?3. Does she often appear on the stage as a young girl or not?4. Will Jennifer act the part of a girl of seventeen in a new play soon or not?5. Does she ever tell anyone how old she really is or not? Answer these questions in not more than 50 words.
Lesson18 He often does this!他经常干这种事！1. Did the writer have lunch at a village pub or not?2. Could she find her bag after her meal or not?3. Could she pay the bill or not?4. Who soon found it for her?5. Where had his dog taken it? Answer these questions in not more than 40 words.
Lesson19 Sold out 票已售完1. When was the play going to begin?2. How many tickets did you ask for?3. Were there any left or not?4. Were Susan and you disappointed or not?5. Who hurried to the ticket office just then?6. How many tickets did he return?7. Were they for that day’s performance, or were they for next Wednesday’s performance?8. Did you buy them or not? Answer these questions in not more than 50 words.
Lesson20 One man in a boat独坐孤舟1. What is the writer’s favourite sport?2. What do some unlucky fishermen catch?3. Is the writer as lucky as they are, or is he not so lucky?4. Does he ever catch anything?5. Is he really interested in fishing?6. What is the only thing that interests him? Answer these questions in not more than 50 words.
Lesson21 Mad or not?是不是疯了？1. Is the writer slowly going mad or not?2. Where does he live?3. What can be heard night and day?4. Have most of his neighbors left their homes or not?5. Has he been offered money to leave or not?6. What is he determined to do?7. What does everyone say?8. Are they probably right or wrong? Answer these questions in not more than 50 words.
Lesson22 A glass envelope 玻璃信封1. When did Jane cross the Channel?2. What did she throw into the sea?3. What did it contain?4. What did she receive ten months later?5. Do they write to each other regularly now or not?6. Do they send their letter by post, or do they send them in bottles? Answer these questions in not more than 55 words.
Lesson23 A new house 新居1. What will your sister do next year?2. Will she get a surprise if she comes or not?3. Have you a new house in the country or not?4. Have you invited your sister to stay with you or not?5. Is it a very modern house, or is it an old house?6. Has it got many large rooms and a lovely garden or not? Answer these questions in not more than 50 words.
Lesson24 It could be worse 不幸中之万幸1. How much money had you just lost?2. How did you feel?3. Did you tell the manager about it or not?4. Could he do anything or not?5. What did he begin complaining about?6. Who came in with the money just then?7. Where had she found it?8. Is there still some honesty in this world or not? Answer these questions in not more than 55 words.
Lesson 25 Do the English speak English?英国人讲的是英语吗？
1. Did you arrive at a railway station in London or not? Did you ask a porter the way to your hotel or not? Could he understand you or not?(and … but)2. Did he understand you at last or not? Could you understand his answer?(but)
3. Did your teacher ever speak English like that or not?4. What did the porter say to you?5. Does each person speak a different language in England or not?6. Do they understand each other or not? Do you understand them?(but) Answer these questions in not more than 70 words.
Lesson 26 The best art critics最佳艺术评论家
1. Does the writer study art or does he study music? Does he paint a lot of pictures or not?(and)2. Do many people really understand modern art or not?3. Do paintings always have a meaning or not?4. Are they sometimes pretty patterns or not?5. Do young children appreciate modern paintings better than others or not? Do they notice more or not?(not only… but)6. When did the writer’s young sister go into his room? Did she examine his new picture or not?(and)7. Had he hung it upside down, or had he hung it the right way up? Did she notice this immediately or not?(and) Answer these questions in not more than 70 words.
Lesson 27 A wet night 雨夜
1. Where did the boys put up their tent? What did they cook?(and)2. What did they do after their meal? Did it begin to rain or not? Did they creep into their tent or not?(but … so) Lesson 28 No parking 禁止停车
1. What does Jasper White believe in?2. Where do car owners always park their cars? Has he put up ‘No Parking ’signs or not? Have they paid any attention to them or not?3. Did the boys wake up in the middle of the night or not?4. Was the tent full of water or not? Did they rush outside or did they stay in their tent?(so)5. Where had a stream formed? Where did it flow?(and) Answer these questions in not more than 70 words.
(so… but)3. What has he put over his gate now?4. Whose head is it?5. What does he want her to do? Has she done so yet or not?(but) Answer these questions in not more than 65 words.
1. Has Captain Ben Fawcett bought a small Swiss aeroplane, or has he bought an ordinary taxi? Does he use it as a taxi or not?(and)2. What is it called?3. How many passengers can it carry? Can it land anywhere or not?(not only … but)4. Has Captain Ben Fawcett taken passengers to many strange places in his plane or not?5. Did he refuse to fly a businessman to Rockall or not?6. Was the journey too dangerous or not? Answer these questions in not more than 60 words.
Lesson30 Football or polo？足球还是水球？1. Did the writer sit by the river last Sunday or not?2. Were some children playing games nearby or not?3. Who kicked a ball hard? Where did it go?(and)4.
Did the man in the boat see the ball? Did he hear people shouting?(neither …nor)5. Did the ball hit the man or not? What did the children do?(and)6. Was the man angry or not? Where did he throw the ball?(However … and) Answer these questions in not more than 70 words.
Lesson31 Success story 成功者的故事
1 What was Frank Hawkins telling the writer about?2 Where did Frank use to work as a boy?3 What did he use to do there?4 When did he buy his own shop? What did he make in his twenties?(and)5 Did he employ a lot of people in a few years or not?6 Who came into the room after a while?7 What did she want him to repair? Answer these questions in not more than 80 words.
Lesson32 Shopping made easy购物变得很方便
1 Whom did a detective watch in a large store one Monday?2 What did she buy? Did she choose an expensive dress or not?(and then)3 Did the assistant wrap it up for her or not? Did the woman take it with her or not?(and)4 Did she pay for it or not? Did the detective arrest her or not?(so)5 Who was the assistant?6 What did she give her mother once a week? Answer these questions in not more than 70 words.
Lesson1 A private conversation私人谈话
1. Where did the writer go last week?2. Did he enjoy the play or not?3. Who was sitting behind him?
4. Were they talking loudly, or were they talking quietly?5. Could the writer hear the actors or not?6. Did he turn round or not?7. What did he say?8. Did the young man say,‘The play is not interesting,’ or did he say,‘This is a private conversation!’? Answer these questions in not more than 55 words.
Lesson2 Breakfast or lunch?早餐还是午餐？
1. Does the writer always get up early on Sundays, or does he always get up late?2. Did he get up early last Sunday, or did he get up late?3. Who telephoned then?
4. Had she just arrived by train, or had she come on foot?5. Was she coming to see him or not?6. Did he say,‘I’m still having breakfast,’ or did he say,‘I’m still in bed’?7. Was his aunt very surprised or not?8. What was the time? Answer these questions in not more than 50 words.
Lesson3 Please send me a card请给我寄一张明信片1. Do postcards always spoil the writer’s holidays or not?2. Where did he spend his holidays last summer?3. What did he think about every day?4. Did he send any cards to his friends or not?5. How many cards did he buy on the last day?6. Where did he stay all day?7. Did he write any cards or not? Answer these questions in not more than 50 words.
Lesson4 An exciting trip激动人心的旅行1. What has the writer just received from his brother, Tim?2. Is Tim an engineer, or is he a doctor?3. How long has he been in Australia?4. Has he already visited many places or not?5. Where is he now?6. Has Tim ever been abroad before or not?7. Is he enjoying his trip very much or not? Answer these questions in not more than 50 words.
Lesson 5 No wrong numbers无错号之虞1. Where has Mr. Scott opened his second garage? Lesson 6 Percy Buttons（人名）珀西巴顿斯
1. Has the writer just moved to a house in Bridge Street or not?2. Where is his first garage?3. How far away is Silbury?4. Can Mr. Scott get a telephone for his new garage or not?5. What has he bought?6. In how many minutes do they carry messages from one garage to the other? Answer these questions in not more than 50 words.
2. Who knocked at her door yesterday?3. Did he sing songs, or did he ask for money?4. What did the writer give him in return for this?5. What is the beggar’s name?6. Does he call at every house once a week or once a month? Answer these questions in not more than 55 words.
Lesson 7 Too late 为时太晚
1. How long were detectives waiting at the airport?2. What were they expecting from South Africa?3. Where did two men take the parcel after the arrival of the plane?4. How many detectives opened it?5. What was the parcel full of? Answer these questions in not more than 50 words.
Lesson 8 The best and the worst最好的和最差的1. Who has the best garden in town?2. What does he win each year?3. Who else has a fine garden?4. Is Joe’s garden better or not?5. Is the writer’s garden beautiful, or is it terrible?6. What does he always win a prize for? Answer these questions in not more than 45 words.
Lesson 9 A cold welcome 冷遇1. Where did we go on New Year’s Eve? Lesson10 Not for jazz不适于演奏爵士乐
1. Do we own an old clavichord, or do we own a new piano?2. Were there a lot of people there or not?3. In how many minutes would the Town Hall clock strike twelve?4. At what time did it stop?5. Did it refuse to welcome the New Year or not?6. What did the crowd do then? Answer these questions in not more than 50 words.
2. When was it made?3. Who bought the instrument many years ago?4. Who damaged it recently?5. What did she try to do?6. What did she break?7. Who is repairing it now?
Answer these questions in not more than 45 words.
Lesson 11 One good turn deserves another 礼尚往来1. Where were you having dinner?2. Did you see Tony Steele after a while or not?3. What does he always borrow from his friends?4. Did Tony sit at your table, or did he sit somewhere else?5. How much did you ask him to lend you?6. Did he give you the money at once or not?7. What did he want you to do? Answer these questions in not more than 50 words.
Lesson 12 Goodbye and good luck 再见，一路顺风
1. Whom shall we meet at Portsmouth Harbour early tomorrow morning?2. Where will he be?3. At what time will he leave?4. Shall we say goodbye to him, or shall we travel with him?5. What will he take part in? Answer these questions in not more than 45 words.
Lesson 13 The Greenwood Boys 绿林少年
1. Are the Greenwood Boys singers, or are they dancers? Lesson 14 Do you speak English?你会讲英语吗？
1. Whom did the writer give a lift to in the south of France last 2. When will they be coming here?3. Who will be meeting them at the station?4. How many performances will they give?5. What will the police be trying to do as usual? Answer these questions in not more than 50 words.
year?2. Did they greet each other in English or in French?3. Does the writer speak any French or not?4. Did they sit in silence, or did they talk to each other?5. What did the young man say at the end of the journey?6. Was he English himself, or was he French? Answer these questions in not more than 55 words.
Lesson 15 Good news 佳音1. Who wanted to see you?2. How did you feel about this?3. Where did you go?4. Did he say that business was bad, or did he say that it was good?5. Could the firm pay such large salaries or not?6. How many people had left already?7. Did he ask you to leave as well or not?8. What did he offer you? Answer these questions in not more than 55 words.
Lesson 16 A polite request 彬彬有礼的要求
1. Do traffic police usually give you a ticket if you park your car in the wrong place or not?2. When did the writer find a polite note on his car?3. What did the traffic policeman want him to do?4. Can anyone fail to obey a request like this or not? Answer these questions in not more than 55 words.